Monday, April 16, 2012

Tulips at Monticello



I did this little oil painting today up in the back garden of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello on a breezy, warm April day. I love it when all the tulips come into bloom at once. Last fall I chatted with gardeners planting the bulbs, and they explained that fresh bulbs are replanted each fall. In the early spring I saw the leaves were sprouting early, and the gardeners had clipped the leaf tips, I assume to slow the growth so the flowers wouldn't bloom too soon. Today, my father and I found a place to sit in the shade there and enjoy the abundance. Several crowds of school children being ushered past stopped to squeal at my tulip painting. What you don't see: Directly behind me is the famous view on the back of the nickel. And throngs of tourists.

(4/20/12 update — When I was up there again yesterday to paint, some gardeners who came by to chat explained that the clipped tulip-leaf tips were due to grazing deer. Shows what little I know...)

Oil on canvas board, 6" x 8". SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment